Thursday, May 25, 2006

Taylor Hicks: American Idol 2006

I gotta say though, I wasn't all that upset when Taylor won last night. I guess it's just because it was pretty much a given that he was going to win so it wasn't really surprising. It certainly wasn't like Carrie/Bo last year. Hopefully he'll actually have a career and not turn into the next Ruben.

I actually thought that the finale was really, really good last night. This was the first time that it was just a big celebration about the whole season and was a great way to cap it off. I loved all of the performances and the Golden Idol awards. But let's talk about the guests that they had. How sad is it that you get 12 unknown kids on stage and they all outsing the so-called "legends" of the music industry. Let's start with Meatloaf. What the hell was that? Singing? I think not. How about creating a vibrato by shaking the mic? I felt so bad for Kat , who clearly sounded much much better than Meatloaf but had to put on a performance with him.

Then there was Mary J. Blige. Someone needs to teach that bitch the meaning of a duet. It's a fucking DUET! That means two people sing together, not you jump in front of him and sing (pretty crappy I might) so no one can see or hear your partner. Elliott was sounding amazing on One (I wish he would have pulled that out during the competition sometime) and Blige comes out and ruins what could have been the best song of the night. I remember she even pulled that shit with Bono and turned their duet into a solo. Bitch, it ain't your song! At least Elliott sounded much better than she did too.

Toni Braxton. Can she sing? I don't know because I couldn't hear a word that was coming out of her mouth. Maybe next time she'll stop dressing like slut and stop trying to molester her duet partner and actually try to sing. She was so out of breath it was sad. At least Taylor got felt up though.

Dionne Warwick. Now this is supposedly a music icon. But when you get 12 young singers standing next to you and you can barely get enough air to get the words out you're not going to sound good. Especially when you go for that last big note and you're FLAT! Oh man was she flat. I don't even know if she was flat, she just may have been in a completely different song (senility sucks!). That note was no where near what the rest of the group is singing. I cringed.

Prince was awesome and was very much a surprise. I know that they have been wanting to get him on the show all season and I was shocked when he walked out at the end of the finale. That was great! I hope that he comes back next season and they do a Prince week. I'm not really a fan of "artist theme weeks" but I think a Prince week would be fun. He's got a lot of great songs to choose from.

I loved the Bacharat medley and was even shocked when Bucky sang. He sounded really good (what?!). I liked the guys/girls medleys as well. It was funny to see Clay's wannabe freak out when Clay walked out behind him on stage (what's up with Clay's hair? I mean, he's gay now. He should have better fashion sense then that.) and it was nice to hear Clay busting out a song again. Damn, that boy can still sing. Too bad his CD sucks though. Carrie sounded amazing on her current single and I loved seeing her sing with Taylor, Kat and the rest of the top 12.

Overall, it was a great show. I'm sad it's over because now I have to wait until Jan for it start all over again. But at least I know my tivo is ready to go. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home