Thursday, March 02, 2006

Bring On the Men

Aaaah, we get the boys singing again and, like last week, they outsang the women by a mile. This was definitely huge pick up from last night but once again we got an ecclectic list of song choices. So let's jump right in and see what I thought.

Taylor Hicks. Once again, I found him to be completely average. I know a lot of people really like this guy but I think he's going to quickly start losing fan support. He's got a good voice but doesn't do anything with it. Plus, I don't like his "woos" that come out of nowhere. This performance was completely forgettable. Aside from the fact that he has gray hair I don't think there was anything distinctive about his singing today.

Elliott Yamin. Wow, once again he comes out with a great song and sings the hell out of it. We saw one of the crooners from last season sing this in his audition but I think Elliott really sang it a lot better. I loved the jazzy stuff he added to it and his tone was amazing. This guy is a definite contender!

Ace Young. Wow. A big difference from last week. I've never heard this song before but I didn't like it. Ace really struggled with most of the song but sounded great on his falsettos. I think he's going to have some problems during theme weeks, especially if he has to start singing faster songs. I really think he's just a balladeer. That being said, he has no risk of leaving this week but I think he did get knocked down a few pegs in possibly being in the finale.

Gedeon. I hate this guy. I really do. His smile bugs. His speaking voice bugs. I hate the way enunciates every single thing he says. And then he opened his mouth to sing and I was like "damn". He was really good tonite. I was really impressed and I think he'll stay until next week. But I would really hate to see him make the finals because that means I have to keep seeing him on tv. And dude, he's only 17/18? He looks like he's 25 or so. Again, creepy.

Kevin Covais. OMG, I loved the whole interview. I was cracking up throughout the whole thing. This little kid is gonna get so much action throughout Idol. I bet he'll get the most out of the guys. LOL. I actually really liked his performance. Vocally, I thought it was great. But his dancing looks very much like William Hung. He's a cute kid and I think he'll make it to next week. I loved the Chicken Little reference as well. The whole performance put a smile on my face.

Sway. UGH! If last week wasn't bad enough we had another horrible performance from Sway. At least he wasn't in falsetto the whole time but he was flat. This was abysmal. It's gonna be tough to see if he makes it out of this week.

Will Makar. This kid surprised me tonite. I was like "Lady? That's such a boring song." but I think he sounded great on it. I loved the fullness of his voice tonite. Really good job. That should propel him into next week.

Bucky Covington. I really don't know how much more I can handle of the whole "I'm from the south and don't know a damn thing about anything" routine that we keep hearing from him and Kellie. It's getting really old. He busts out with Garth Brooks. I love Garth Brooks! And "Thunder Rolls" is one of my favorite songs of his! I hated this version! I thought Bucky was all over the place vocally on it. His voice wasn't strong enough to carry the emotion of the song on it. I think this may be Bucky's last week with us.

David Radford. I really like this kid. I think he has a great voice. I just wish it wasn't in that crooner style. It was an ok performance but I dont' think people are going to vote crooners in anymore after John Stevens (thanks John, you ruined an entire genre with your bowel-inducing performances). He's a cute kid but I'm not sure how far that will get him. And he didn't look pleased with the judges comments at all.

Chris Daughtry. OMG Chris Daughtry! I love me some Chris Daughtry. Like Bo last year, this guy knows exactly who he is and what he should be doing to showcase himself. Like Bo, he's on a whole different level. If this guy isn't one of the final 2 then America is fucked up. This was such a great performance. His vocals would fit perfectly on the radio right now. I cannot wait to see what he does next week. And i'm really anxious to see how he handles all of the theme weeks.

So here's my rankings.

Chris
Elliott
Gedeon (damn, I can't believe I put him so high)
Ace
Will
Taylor
Kevin
David
Bucky
Sway

As for who is going home. I really don't know. I think it's between David, Bucky and Sway but I can't nail who will be leaving. Tonite is a hard one and I think there may be some surprises tomorrow. It's gonna be a good one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home